Thursday, January 9, 2014

Skim Boarding in Florida
I peaked over a short walkway to the beach spotting the ocean for the first tie in two years, thoughts rushed through my head about what I did here before, I remembered skim boarding was my favorite. No one was on the beach I looked over at the surf, it was HORRIBLE waves came in from different places colliding into each other. I saw two boys and one girl trying to dive under the breaking waves or over the ones that hadn't broken yet. Occasionally one would dive under one to peak up and sea another right in front of them I remembered that feeling, it felt horrible.  I decided that I was going to stay on the shore and get the hang of skim boarding again; I wasn't really in the mood to get pounded by the cold waves. 


I starred at the waves as they rose up next to my feet, each time one of those came I would toss the board, run after it, and jump on top of it, I slipped right off of it and tripped on the water. This happened about five times but I just kept trying, after the sixth try I felt it I rode on it for about 5 feet, it wasn't very far but it got my hopes up. I just kept trying an I finally got the hang of it, each time getting generally bigger from five to seven to ten to fifteen and bigger and bigger each time. I started learn more ways to do trick, more ideas. I started to try and do spins, these made me fall the most I would catch an edge on the way around and falling on the sand or into the upcoming waves. I briefly hear "Jason we have to head out" my face dulled and I slowly walked over.

  

7 comments:

  1. I really like the description. nice job

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like it was a very fun experience. I liked the second paragraph. I know the feeing of finally succeeding in something that seems like I couldn't do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you go to the beach? I really like the beach in North Dakota. Have you ever been there? I really liked the part in the end where you said "my face dulled and I slowly walked over" this reminded me of when I had to leave the beach I went to in France.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand the awful feeling of diving under a wave just to come up and be smashed under by another. It is like the world wants you to go down, spinning deep into the dark.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite part is when you had your first successful ride and it gave you hope. I relate to that when I am trying to learn how to play baseball. Each catch gives me hope that someday I'll be not so awful. Also, your line of your face dulling gives me a very clear image of what you looked like when you found out you had to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First off, your images in the other post got corrupted. Also, the beach that you were at doesn't sound like a fun place to be. I don't understand skim boarding, but it sounds more painful than fun

    ReplyDelete
  7. The description of how you kept going bigger and bigger was fun to read, including the crashes, was excellent. "My face dulled" was a great line.

    ReplyDelete